From Vancouver, Washington, USA:

I recently asked a question and realized I should have provided more info. My two-year-old son had been monitored for about six weeks prior to starting insulin. He was then on Lantus and NovoLog for about three weeks and is now honeymooning. His A1Cs (4.1-5.1) have not reflected his blood glucose values (average 185). They said he may have a hemoglobin variant, or some kind of anemia shortening the life of the red blood cell. I am wondering how likely this is as I've never heard of such a thing and have been looking on the Internet.

He is otherwise pretty healthy although he has had persistent blood in the urine which no one is sure why, as well as dark rings around the eyes. I have no idea if this is related. Any information that you have that may help to point us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, as well as additional testing that you might recommend. His one-year-old sister was born with multiple birth defects and also has elevated blood glucose (same A1C issue) but they think it's probably unrelated as she has an unclassified metabolic disorder and numbers are 75% normal with elevations into the two hundreds. Please help.

It should be pretty easy to see if a hemoglobin variant exists or if there is anemia that would explain the low A1c levels with higher BG readings. Go back and ask the endocrinologist to do these tests and figure this out.

Blood in the urine is not normal and this also should be investigated rather thoroughly for a cause. In a two-year-old, this is unlikely to be diabetes related, however.

Your other child with BG readings into the 200 range is also not normal and needs a consultation with primary care physician and perhaps also a pediatric diabetologist as well.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Other Illnesses