Question:

From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

Is it normal practice to deny taking a patient because they have type 1 diabetes? We were just turned down as a new patient at a local pediatricians office because my son has type 1. I told them that he has a regular endocrinologist that he sees every three months for his diabetes but she told me that they are a small, busy practice and didn't think their office was the best "fit" for my son. It would be a shame if every pediatrician's office was like this and only accepted children in perfect health.

Answer:

I agree with your comments that "It would be a shame if every pediatricians office was like this and only accepted children in perfect health." Thankfully, most pediatricians will gladly accept you into their practice without hesitation.