From Vancouver, Washington, USA:

My dad has diabetes, as did his mother and his sister. I am an only child and I was his sweet angel as a child. During college I noticed changes in his behavior, which has has gotten dramatically worse over the years. Truly, I have done nothing in particular to agitate him, however I am receive the full brunt of his ill treatment. He is angry, mean and mostly pretends I do not exist. He seems constantly annoyed with me and is very unfriendly and irritable. He has behaved this way toward my mom before, but seems to get over it and moves on. Generally, and with most people, he is friendly and conversational, although more of a serious intellectual type. We, my four daughters and husband, live 1200 miles away and visit only a couple of times a year, plenty of time for him to calm down. I have also sat with him to discuss his anger and is seems to not have any footing.

I am wondering if this behaviour is due to his illness and if there is anything I or we can do to remedy this. I have pretty much thrown the towel in for our relationship, but in hindsight feel that maybe I can help if it has to do with his diabetes. What do you think? Is this typical diabetic behaviour, or only typical of some? Is there a remedy or suggestion that I can use to help?

Anger is not typical behavior for people with diabetes. However, some people display episodes of anger with fluctuations in blood sugars. In order to drawn any conclusions about the relationship between his behavior and his diabetes, you need to determine whether he has fluctuating blood sugars. If you found such a problem, you would have a target for treatment.

Posted to Behavior