Question:

From Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA:

I would like to know what the acceptable sugar spike is after eating. For example, if I eat a high carb meal and my premeal blood sugar level was 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L], if it spikes up to 275-300 mg/dl [15.3-16.7 mmol/L] and comes back down to 100-120 mg/dl [5.6-6.7 mmol/L] after 2 hours, is that ok?

Answer:

In order to achieve an A1C of less than 6.5% to reduce your risk of serious complications, your before meal tests should be less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] and your two hour (after you start eating) post prandial should be less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. Even though you return to normal several hours later, the frequent spikes add up and can lead to consequences.

JS

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Complications