Question:

From Alvin, Texas, USA:

I have an eight year old daughter who eats constantly and when not eating is always saying she is hungry. She drinks almost all day, goes to the bathroom probably once an hour. I was talking to the school nurse where I work and she said that these are signs of diabetes. I am concerned but honestly do not have the money to get her tested at this time. Does this seem like I need to test her? Where can I go to get her tested for a low cost?

Answer:

It is very important to get her tested for diabetes now. I would suggest talking to your pediatrician about your concerns. A good pediatric office will have the resources to assist you with payment plans or other ways to make sure your daughter receives the care she needs. Please call them and arrange for your daughter to be seen as soon as possible.