Question:

From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

I am 26 years old. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 8 years old. Despite my six daily injections, my glucose has never been in control no matter what my doctors or I do. I have recently begun to have hair loss on one spot of my head in the past three or four weeks. I asked my endocrinologist about it, but she doesn't seem to know what the problem may be. Is my hair loss due to my diabetes and if so what can I do to prevent further hair loss and promote hair growth?

Answer:

Hair loss is not from the diabetes. You can have hair loss from a number of problems, including a genetic predisposition for hair loss. Sometimes the hair loss can be the result of autoimmune attack on the hair follicles. This has a tendency to associate with other autoimmune disease, one of which is Type 1 diabetes. I would suggest you see a dermatologist. They can give you more specific information. Sometimes they will biopsy the scalp or look at the root of a plucked hair follicle under the microscope. What you probably want to know is whether there is any treatable cause of hair loss present.