Question:

From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

Our local news has an issue on health issues quite regularly. Recently they said a study has shown that children who are given solid foods before the recommended age of four months are more likely to have type 1 diabetes later on in childhood. My son was given whole milk at 2 months of age and I was wondering if that in some way contributed to his illness. I have always been told that there is no known cause of the disease. How accurate is this information?

Answer:

Preliminary results from DAISY (Diabetes and AutoImmune Syndromes in Youth), a study designed to discover the environmental triggers of this form of Diabetes, have shown that early exposure to cow's milk, at least in the U.S. does not increase the risk of developing Type 1A or Autoimmune Diabetes in children that are genetically predisposed. On the other hand it has confirmed that the first introduction of cereals before the end of the third month or, rather surprisingly, after the end of the sixth month does significantly increase the chances that these children will develop clinical diabetes. In the light of this information it must be clear that a great deal is known about the cause of this, by far the commonest, form of Type 1 Diabetes. To say that it is a disorder a genetically determined disorder of the immune system is to over simplify a very complex process. At the same time the gradual unfolding of the details is leading to valuable ideas for prevention, for management and even for a cure.