From Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA:

I have a friend who has diabetes and suffers from gastroparesis. Her doctor says that she needs to have the "pacemaker" implant but cannot afford it. Are there any agencies or groups that assist in providing financial aid for indigent people? I have searched as much as I know how. She has medicare but they won't pay anything on the part which is absolutely out of her financial ability. She has two children, 7 and 9 years old, and gets no child support for them.

Medicare does not cover this procedure because it is classified as experimental. However, many private insurance carriers are covering it. Has your friend attempted to apply for Medicaid? Have you explored if there are any investigational studies in this procedure enrolling new patients?

Posted to Complications and Insurance/Costs