Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

My granddaughter is a very fussy eater. She does not eat any vegetables or much meat. She eats processed food, cheese, salami, and we do get her to eat fish sometimes. I would like to help her learn to eat better and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Answer:

Young children can be picky eaters and a bit of a challenge with diabetes meal planning. I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in pediatric diabetes meal planning. They can develop an individualized meal plan for your granddaughter that will meet caloric needs, satisfy her "picky" palate, and assist with obtaining optimal blood sugar control. Ask your granddaughter's physician if a referral to a diabetes dietitian is needed.

JMS