Question:

From Northridge, California, USA:

My grandfather is 70 years old and has Type 2 diabetes. He takes insulin injections, oral medications, and started a dialysis treatment about five months ago. He has an extremely bad itch from head to toe everyday for extended periods of time. This has been going on for the past three months or so. We've tried over the counter creams, prescription creams, oral medications, injections given by his doctor and in the ER (it has been to the extent that we have had to take him to the ER three times). Nothing takes it away. He sees no reason to go to the ER anymore, because nobody, even his doctors, have not been able to tell him what it is. He gets extremely depressed and desperate. We do not know what to do. Please help.

Answer:

I do not think this is from the diabetes. It may be from the chronic renal failure. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist who may be able to help more than previous physicians.