Question:

From Texas, USA:

I'm 17 years old and I have had diabetes for about 8 years. At first I was taking good care of myself, but for the past year or two I have kind of slacked off and ate things I wasn't supposed to, plus I took more insulin that was prescribed to me. I'm getting back on track now with a low carb diet and my blood sugar levels are slowly beginning to come down for the high 200s and 300s to 160s or so, but sometimes they fluctuate. I've become very aware and afraid of the complications that come with not taking care of myself. I'm writing to ask if it's too late to prevent all of these things from happening (blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, etc.).

Answer:

While you cannot undo the yeas of damage related to high sugars, overeating and inappropriate insulin doses, the decision to take better care of yourself and work to lower your BG levels is a good one - and the body will try to repair some of the damage from the past. The longer you can maintain improved glucose levels, the less likely that you will have problems and the less severe any problems are apt to be. Don't spend too much time dwelling on why you did not take care of yourself except to remember that you have better options and that it is all worthwhile - any time you decide to make such improvements. Keep working at it.