From Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA:

In previous responses, you suggest 2-3 hours after a meal, the blood sugar should be 50 points higher than the premeal blood sugar (which should be under 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]).

What percent of fat calories is suggested for a meal to keep consistency with the 50 point swing? My meals vary with regard to fat content, and sometimes I am much lower than 50 points and end up with hypoglycemia, and other times I eat high fat meals where my blood sugar is higher than 50 points.

I would like to clarify your answer before I answer it. I hope you meant to state that 2-3 hour postprandial blood sugar should be no higher than 50 mg/dl over the preprandial blood sugar. That is usually a good rule of thumb for people with diabetes to abide by. As you have seen personally, a higher fat meal can slow down absorption of a meal and cause spikes later after eating (not timing absorption of meals with timing of faster acting insulins). Most registered dietitians will develop a diabetes meal plan with approximately 30% of calories from fat, a majority of that from monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

There is some room for variation, but the usual recommendation for fat content in the diet is roughly 30-40% of the total caloric intake.