From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

If a person had a high C peptide level of 6.1, would they be overweight? And if their C peptide level then fell to 0.9, would they lose weight? My doctor wasn't sure about this. Would this person be in danger of getting ketoacidosis? This person has Type 2.

An elevated C-Peptide generally infers insulin resistance which is a marker for Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Losing weight could lower the C-peptide. However, I have seen individuals with high levels and not overweight. These levels are helpful with diagnosis and possible treatment regimens but are not, at this time, solely indicative of disease. Additionally, individuals with Type 2 diabetes generally do not have the problem with ketoacidosis as Type 1 individuals but they have the same risks for complications and an acute problem called hyperosmolar state which could be as dangerous.

Posted to Other and Type 2