Question:

From India:

Is it okay to drink 330 ml of beer once a month or once every other month? Can it affect any of my organs, such as my kidneys, heart, or eyes?

Answer:

The use of alcohol in any individual on a consistent basis is not appropriate for good health. The use of alcohol with a diagnosis of diabetes is a prescription for disaster, in my opinion. Alcohol is "empty calories" and can lead to problems with hypo or hyperglycemia. The fact that you are asking, indicates your concern. My advice to my patients is to limit any alcohol use to a rare (less than 1-2 times per year, if you must) occasion.

ABS

Posted to Other Social Issues and Meal Planning, Food and Diet