Question:

From Surrey, England:

I am a Play Specialist and have a client who is recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I will be working with him and his family, which entails explaining certain procedures to them. What are the child and family going to experience in hospital -- i.e., what tests will they get and which specialists will they see?

Answer:

In the UK the treatment plan is very similar throughout. Basically, the diagnosis is confirmed by a paediatrician with a special interest in diabetes then the majority of the family training is delivered by a combination of specialist nurse and dietetic input. The latter usually lasts around a month in the intensive phase with regular visits to the hospital/clinic/home to ensure that the basic principles are understood. Thereafter, a routine of three to five visits per year to clinic is the norm.