From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I am 34 and have had type 1 diabetes for about 14 years. Last night I was coming downstairs and my knee gave out. I subsequently hit my head and was knocked unconscious for about an hour (according to my husband). I was transported by ambulance to the ER where I was observed. I was found to have a blood sugar of 51, and was given glucose by IV. I did not come to for another 30-45 minutes. (I rarely have symptoms of low blood sugar, and I can easily walk around and maintain normalcy with a blood sugar of 51). Other tests were done, like a CT of my head, and they were all normal. I was diagnosed with a mild-moderate head injury and was observed overnight. Since my fall, my blood sugar has been fluctuating widely (60-350 mg/dl), without apparent reason. In addition, I have episodes of strange confusion, really bad headache, and double/blurry vision. I'm not sure if this is related to diabetes or the head injury. Do I need to contact my doctor, or is this a normal sequelae to my type of injury?

I would contact your physician as this may be symptoms of a concussion. I would also reevaluate your regimen and obtain blood glucoses through the night as you may have hypoglycemia that is not being detected.

The blurring of vision, cephalgia, confusion are symptoms of a concussion. This is similar to an athelete having taken a hit to the head or fall. I would not hesitate on this. Contact your physician immediately.