Question:

From Johnson City, Tennessee, USA:

I'm 39 years old with gestational diabetes for the first time of two pregnancies. My fetus is 33 weeks in gestational age. I've been on insulin shots at night for two weeks and following a strict carb diet for a month. I've now been told I've lost weight during my pregnancy and weigh one pound more than I did when I had my first OB appointment at 8 weeks. I was told my baby only weighed 3.9 pounds per ultrasound this week and I'm freaking out. What can I do to help this poor child along?

My glucose levels have been great, with my fasting only once being 97 with insulin, the rest of the time it's been less than 90. My 2 hour glucose levels have almost always (except maybe twice) been less than 120. Help! I feel I really need to put on some weight for this baby. I'm overweight to begin with and have been put on 1/2 day shifts from my 13 hour shifts by my OB.

Answer:

At 33 weeks 3.9 pounds is a little light, but not severly undergrown. Your glucose control is very good. You may want to speak with your dietician about increasing your daily calories slightly. Babies will grow even if their mothers do not gain much weight.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes