From Davie, Florida, USA:

My stepdaughter is five years old and recently she has been regressing with her toilet training. She has to wear pull-ups at night and, most recently, has been having accidents at least a couple of times a day. When asked why, she states sometimes that she didn't even know she had done it. Is this related to her diabetes?

Regression in toilet training may come from several reasons. First, I would rule out high blood sugar as the cause. How is your stepdaughter's diabetes control? Are there periods of high blood sugar throughout the day or night? Next, check with her doctor about a possible urinary tract or bladder infection. Finally, has anything significant changed in her life--a new sibling, family discord, a new home, friends moving away or changes in her school or routine? Sometimes these changes will push a child backward in her development. Her pediatrician will be a valuable resource if such changes are contributing to the problem.

Posted to Behavior