From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. I took the one hour glucose test and it came back high at 177 mg/dl [9.8 mmol/L]. I have not taken the three hour yet because I'm not looking forward to it (I had a hard time keeping it down the first time) and we have been seeing a specialist because the baby is measuring small anyway. What are my chances of actually having a big baby when right now my baby has been measuring a week behind schedule? Is there anyway I can get out of taking the three hour glucose test? Should I already start implementing a diet plan for those with gestational diabetes just in case? Also, where could I find a diet plan on the Internet for gestational diabetes?

To make a proper diagnosis, you should take the three hour test. However, an alternative would be to start on a diet (consult with a dietitian, not the Internet) and then check your blood sugars before and after meals to assess your glucose control. If diet is not adequate, then you may have to start either an oral hypoglycemic agent or insulin.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes