Question:

From Metairie, Louisiana, USA:

I took my 17-month old daughter into the emergency room with elevated blood sugar levels, 278 mg/dl [15.5 mmol/L] fasting. I rechecked several times and continued to get results in this range. I checked her blood glucose because she was actually exhibiting signs of hypoglycemia--sweaty and shaking. I was concerned. We have a strong family history of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Personally, I have type 2.

Upon arrival at the hospital, her glucose levels had fallen and laboratory testing indicated that her serum glucose levels were at the high end of the normal range, but still normal. A pediatric endocrinologist was consulted and he is running an insulin antibody test. We've been instructed to continue the finger sticks at home--fasting, right before a meal and two-hour postprandial. Her numbers are all over the place, ranging from the low to upper-mid hundreds. I still haven't heard back from the endocrinologists office. I was told the insulin antibody test takes a week or more to get results. In the meantime, I'm concerned about these erratic results. Should I be? We're using an AccuCheck Active, if it makes a difference, and my daughter was also taking Bactrim for a sinus infection at the time of the initial high result.

Answer:

It sounds like you are following good advice. I would continue to check her frequently and make sure you have good follow-up with your physician.