Question:

From Circleville, Ohio, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in September 2003. Will "tight control" of his blood glucose reduce the risks of complications? I was told that effects can be seen in as little as five years from time of diagnosis.

Answer:

You have a young child with diabetes, which can be most difficult to treat. I suggest you try to avoid bad hypoglycemic episodes and the rest will be okay. You will not see problems in five years and, with good control, I would expect never. Don't panic and just control his blood sugars the best you can.