Question:

From Hamilton, Ohio, USA:

I am the kitchen supervisor at a juvenile detention center. In less than two months, we have had two juveniles with diabetes. Their doctors have them counting carbohydrates. Do you know of a good site that has a clear and common carbohydrate counter? I have found a couple but they are very lengthy and exotic. We use every day food here, most of which includes the number of carbohydrates, but not all do, like breaded fish, butter patties, spaghetti sauce, BBQ, etc.

Answer:

A good source for carbohydrate information is the Exchange Lists for Meal PLanning Booklet published by the American Diabetes Association and the American Dietetic Association. It can usually be obtained by contacting your local American Diabetes Association. Their telephone number is usually in the telephone listings or you can contact them online at www.diabetes.org.

JMS