Question:

From Brno, Czech Republic:

I am 70 years old. I used to be a heavy smoker, 20 to 30 cigarettes per day. I quit smoking about two years before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 50. Is it possible that this could have caused my illness because I have read that blood glucose is also regulated by stress hormones, which are produced in brain? So, is it possible that the lack of nicotine may have caused my illness? Is it possible to reverse or adjust my diabetes by smoking again?

Answer:

There is no evidence that smoking cessation is a direct cause of diabetes mellitus. Type 2 diabetes has many different causes. You do not indicate whether you are overweight or have a family history. Both of these are strong factors in the development of diabetes in your age group. I would not even consider returning to smoking as the evidence points to very poor outcomes with smokers, to include chronic lung problems and, what is most disturbing, cancer. I would look to improve your lifestyle and diet. You should definitely discuss this with your physician.

ABS

Posted to Type 2