Question:

From Dawson, North Dakota, USA:

My eight year old son has had a lot of blood in his urine for the last two months. It is much worse after gym. He urinates a lot and it is a "Coke" color. Sometimes you can see the blood. He had a urine test and it showed large amount of blood, a trace amount of protein and double the calcium of what it should be. They have done a ultrasound of the kidneys and that seemed okay. I think they were looking for a tumor. Would the urine test show if he was diabetic, because the doctor never mentions that? I guess I am just wondering if something is being left out. The blood in the urine started two months ago.

Answer:

Blood in the urine is not a symptom of diabetes, typically. There are multiple other causes of blood in the urine that can last for many months or longer. Your pediatrician should be able to help you sort through the various causes and treatments.