Question:

From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA:

My daughter, age 10, has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed on 5/31/02. Her recent A1c was 7.7, creatinine was 0.8, BUN was 17, microalbumin was random, 4. I am concerned that this is a precursor to future renal failure. Do these values, BUN, creatinine, microalbumin change Can they go down? I know they can go up. At diagnosis, her BUN was 13, and creatinine was 0.5; no microalbumin level was done. My daughter is very active and likes to eat cheese as a snack. Should I reduce protein intake? I am definitely switching to Rite Aid soda, which contains no sodium, no caffeine.

Answer:

Your daughter's kidney test numbers are perfectly normal. At this time, there is no need to worry.

Posted to Complications and Daily Care