Question:

From Temecula, California, USA:

I am very interested in Assembly Bill 942 in California, but cannot find information about public versus private schools. My son goes to private school. In Section Three of AB 942 Chapter 684, it states that "a pupil with Diabetes shall be permitted to test blood glucose in the classroom, in any area of the school, or school grounds, during any school related activity, and, upon specific request by a parent or guardian, in a private location." The school has stated that my son must leave class to test and walk across the campus to the nurse's office, at lunch and when he has low blood sugar. Does AB 942 only cover public schools? I am under the impression that it is a state law by which both private and public schools must abide. Can you tell me if my son is covered by this law in private school? I cannot find the answer anywhere else.

Answer:

California AB 942 covers public schools. Therefore, you son is not covered.

CJ

Posted to School and Daycare