Question:

From Spokane, Washington, USA:

I'm a 16 year old female, who is somewhat active. I've recently fallen in love with apples and peanut butter for a snack. How much peanut butter would be too much at one time? Nothing I've read says anything about that, although I do know that its a good protein so I often have it for a bedtime snack.

Answer:

Peanut butter is a good source of protein and fat. The fat in the peanut butter is a monounsaturated fat, which is beneficial in lowering lipid levels. Be sure to check out the added sugars in the peanut butters which sometimes can be quite high. Combining carbohydrates and protein at bedtime can keep blood sugars from going low during the night. A few tablespoons of peanut butter for a snack should be fine.

JMS