Question:

From Florida, USA:

I've had diabetes for about two months and I believe that I have just entered the honeymoon phase. After I eat a meal, my levels will go abnormally high, around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but then go down on their own, without insulin. If I take insulin, I'll have a major insulin reaction. Is it normal to spike while honeymooning?

Answer:

Yes. Your pancreas' beta cells, those that make insulin, have mostly been killed by the immune process, but those that are left will produce insulin for a while. This reduced amount is most effective during fasting, usually overnight, but isn't enough to cope with the influx of glucose associated with a meal. Your team should advise you regarding the most appropriate doses of insulin.

Posted to Honeymoon and Insulin