From Florida, USA:

I've had diabetes for about two months and I believe that I have just entered the honeymoon phase. After I eat a meal, my levels will go abnormally high, around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but then go down on their own, without insulin. If I take insulin, I'll have a major insulin reaction. Is it normal to spike while honeymooning?

Yes. Your pancreas' beta cells, those that make insulin, have mostly been killed by the immune process, but those that are left will produce insulin for a while. This reduced amount is most effective during fasting, usually overnight, but isn't enough to cope with the influx of glucose associated with a meal. Your team should advise you regarding the most appropriate doses of insulin.

Posted to Honeymoon and Insulin