Question:

From New Delhi, India:

My son is two years and five months of age. During a doctor's visit for what was probably a viral sickness, his random blood sugar level, approximately 90 minutes after breakfast, was found to be 152 mg/dl [8.4 mmol/L]. This was done by a glucometer. I am concerned because there is a family history of type 2 diabetes and my wife had gestational diabetes. However, the only symptom of diabetes with which I am familiar is polydipsia. Can you advise as to what my next step should be? Is it possible that he does have diabetes?

Answer:

The criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes can be found at Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. Your pediatrician should also be able to help you in determining if your child may have or be at risk for diabetes given the higher blood sugar you noticed during his recent illness.