From London, United Kingdom:

My partner died unexpectedly whilst I was away and I have the "toxicology report" from the postmortem here, which I don't understand. He was just 21 years old and had had type 1 diabetes since he was 12. He controlled his diabetes by insulin injections.

The exam was made five days after his death.

• Blood Alcohol 23 mg/100 ml (possible postmortem production)
  • Blood Acetone 37 mg/l
  • Urine Acetone 41 mg/l
  • Blood Insulin (free) = 93 micro units/ml
  • Blood Glucose - not detected

Any insight into what this might mean would be very much appreciated to help me to understand.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. The numbers you have given me indicate that the blood sugar was very low. Insulin was present in the blood. Does this mean he died of an insulin reaction? I do not think it does. Something could have happened first that made him unable to respond to the low sugar. Acetone is another term to use instead of ketones. These can occur if he had not been eating for a while. I don't think they can tell you everything about what happened, just by themselves.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other