Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from March 2004

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My daughter's specialist wants me to give me daughter the same amount of carbohydrates for morning snack no matter what her blood sugar is. I used to give her less if her blood sugar were high. Which is the better approach? (30 Mar 2004)

2. Which cooking oil is best for those suffering with diabetes and obesity: sunflower, soybean, or corn? (30 Mar 2004)

3. Can someone with type 1 diabetes come down with type 2 later in life? (29 Mar 2004)

4. I have been using an insulin pump since August 2003. I have been losing weight. Is this normal? (29 Mar 2004)

5. My mother-in-law, who has type 2, is very careless about her diabetes care. I've even found her used syringes on the floor. Her family is not supportive. What do I do to help her? (29 Mar 2004)

6. Is there any safe drug for hypertension that does not cause erectile dysfunction? (29 Mar 2004)

7. My son has had a stomach virus with vomiting and diarrhea, possibly a Rotavirus. Why have his blood sugars remained low during this illness? (29 Mar 2004)

8. When my son had an ear infection, he had an elevated blood sugar. Subsequent readings and an A1c were fine, except for one slightly elevated reading. Is this the start of diabetes? (29 Mar 2004)

9. I do not exercise very much and know I need to lose weight. I have type 1 diabetes. Can you send me a diet to help me? (29 Mar 2004)

10. Because I have been unable to eat sugar for five years due to a pancreatic disorder, I want to learn how to cook sugar free desserts for others. Where can I find such a course? (29 Mar 2004)

11. I feel the need to urinate frequently. Could it be caused by the medications I am taking or is it something else? (29 Mar 2004)

12. We are going to the beach for vacation. How do we keep sand out of the pump? (29 Mar 2004)

13. My friend has tried to convince me to try dietary supplements from Mannatech to help my son with diabetes. Are her claims legitimate? (28 Mar 2004)

14. My husband was put on 10 mg glipizide at his diabetes diagnosis. He has since lost weight. Now, at the end of his work day, his feet ache, he's dizzy, and the vision in one eye isn't very clear. Are these side effects of the medication? (28 Mar 2004)

15. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes because of vast difference in his blood sugars. He had no symptoms. His doctors are baffled. What do you think? (26 Mar 2004)

16. Since using some Omnitrition products, my husband's blood sugars are somewhat lower and he feels great. The products are high in caffeine. Will the caffeine hurt him? (26 Mar 2004)

17. What is the impact of type 1 diabetes on attention span in school based settings, especially for teen boys? (26 Mar 2004)

18. My seven year old son was just diagnosed with diabetes. He just started on milk products two years ago. Will giving him milk cause faster islet destruction? (26 Mar 2004)

19. I have a recurring problem with feminine itching and yeast infection-type symptoms, similar to a problem I had at diagnosis, when tests were negative for a yeast infection. What can it be? (25 Mar 2004)

20. When my blood sugar is over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L], I sometimes have tightness and cramps in my legs. Is this from poor circulation or something else? (25 Mar 2004)

21. I have borderline diabetes. Is it reversible if obesity is the cause of it? Other than blood sugars, what tests should my doctor do? (25 Mar 2004)

22. My husband had some blood sugars tested. What does it mean if your post-fasting blood sugar is lower? Does this mean diabetes? Can any damage made to the organs/body be reversed with diet and exercise? (25 Mar 2004)

23. I have type 2. Why are my fasting blood sugars slightly elevated? Will this cause complications? My periods are irregular. Is this related to my diabetes or my medications? Why is my vision sometimes blurry? (25 Mar 2004)

24. I've had type 1 diabetes for nine years. I've had mostly less than 7% A1cs and I use a pump. What are the odds for someone with my scenario having kidney disease? (25 Mar 2004)

25. Other than finger pricks, is there a less painful way of testing my son's blood sugar? At what age can my four year old get a pump? Our doctor, here in the UK, won't consider it. (25 Mar 2004)

26. Two years ago and then yesterday, my son fainted. The pediatrician said not to worry and did not order any tests. With diabetes in my husband's family, should we be concerned? (25 Mar 2004)

27. Is Lantus available in Canada? Will it be available in pen form? (24 Mar 2004)

28. Twice, I had severe lows within an hour of taking my evening Lantus. It was well past my last shot of Humalog. Do you have an explanation? (24 Mar 2004)

29. Is porridge good for people with impaired glucose tolerance? How is it different from oatmeal? Which is better for me? (24 Mar 2004)

30. Can uncontrolled diabetes cause irregular menstrual cycles or stop menses? (24 Mar 2004)

31. After seven years with diabetes, I have been having several related health issues. Most of my test results have been normal. Do you have any guidance? (24 Mar 2004)

32. I have type 2 and pretty good control, but am always tired. Is it related to my diabetes? Metformin is not really lowering my fasting blood sugars. Is insulin my only option? (24 Mar 2004)

33. My nephew has had diabetes for 6 years, but two different doctors have identified his diabetes differently. How do we know which type he has? (23 Mar 2004)

34. My daughter was diagnosed a year ago. If she were to eat a small snack, is it possible to exercise enough to avoid hyperglycemia, or would she still need a small amount of insulin? (23 Mar 2004)

35. Why have none of your answers pointed out that human insulin could be causing some of the adverse effects people are reporting? (23 Mar 2004)

36. My wife had one high reading, out of three, on her three hour blood test. What is the risk to her and the baby, both before and after birth? (23 Mar 2004)

37. How do teens handle being on a pump? Would a pump cause a huge amount of weight gain? Should I wait until I have better control? (23 Mar 2004)

38. My toddler daughter urinates quite a lot, but doesn't have other symptoms of diabetes. She has a cousin with type 1. Should we be concerned? (22 Mar 2004)

39. Once I didn't eat for four or five hours, then ate four brownies and felt very lightheaded. Later I ate some fish and broccoli, but still felt ill. Is this normal? (22 Mar 2004)

40. At his recent death, my father's blood sugar was extremely high. Could he have been poisoned or is there another possible explanation? (22 Mar 2004)

41. My teenaged son says that his face gets extremely sweaty when he eats certain foods and that he often has problems seeing. Have you heard of this? (22 Mar 2004)

42. My son was diagnosed with type 1, then salmonella. After the salmonella, we reduced his insulin, but he still had lows. Is there any danger in taking him off insulin for a day, closely monitoring him and seeing what happens? (22 Mar 2004)

43. How much insulin should my 14 year old, 128 pound, son be taking when his honeymoon is over? How do we know when the honeymoon is over? What is the average amount of insulin he should be taking? Should his pre-diagnosis tests be repeated? (22 Mar 2004)

44. My daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 in December 2003. She has been receiving extra shots of NovoLog almost daily. She has many stomach and leg pains, plus up and down blood sugars. How long will this go on? (22 Mar 2004)

45. Is there a genetic link between diabetes and Native Americans? My dad, who has type 2, has problems with his feet, stomach and heart. What does he need to do? (22 Mar 2004)

46. My daughter has had diabetes for three months. Since the flu, she has symptoms of hypoglycemia with normal blood sugars. Is this normal? (21 Mar 2004)

47. My 55 year old mom has been taking Avandia and Glucotrol XL for eight years. Upon starting an antibiotic for cellulitis, she began have low blood sugars during the night. What do I do when it goes low? How do we stop it from dropping this low? (21 Mar 2004)

48. Is there a difference between type 1 diabetes and IDDM? (21 Mar 2004)

49. After two years of diabetes, we have had to make significant reductions in our son's insulin and he is still having low blood sugars. He exercises a lot and has been eating extra. What is going on? (21 Mar 2004)

50. My son has been in his honeymoon, but is starting to have elevated blood sugars after his afternoon nap. Should I increase his morning NPH or his lunchtime rapid-acting insulin? (20 Mar 2004)

51. I heard that someone in the U.S. has found a way to treat diabetes with pancreatic cells? Is this true? Is there any news on the cure? (20 Mar 2004)

52. Can I stop taking Glucophage after four months of using it? I feel I can control my blood sugar with diet and exercise. (20 Mar 2004)

53. Is there a link between diabetes and stuttering? Are insulin pumps commonly used or still experimental? (20 Mar 2004)

54. After 10 years, I switched to Regular and NPH. I am have very unusual "reactions" from the Regular. Are reactions to Regular common? (20 Mar 2004)

55. I am 21 years old and have had diabetes since birth. Is there some type of research for which I could volunteer? (20 Mar 2004)

56. My 11 year old son has lipoatrophy from injections and the pump. If the fatty tissue continues to disappear, where will we put the pump in the future? He is slow to respond to Humalog. Should we try NovoLog? (20 Mar 2004)

57. My cousin, who has had diabetes for over 10 years, is having periods of blindness. Are there any organizations that can help her before her conditions or vision gets worse? (20 Mar 2004)

58. Can you elaborate on the link between premature ovarian failure and type 1 diabetes. What, if any, tests should my doctor conduct when I see her in April? (20 Mar 2004)

59. My husband suffers from several illnesses, probably including type 2 diabetes. What is a low protein, low phosphorous, low potassium bedtime snack? (20 Mar 2004)

60. Despite reduced insulin and extra food, my nine year old son is having nighttime low blood sugars. And, he doesn't seen to be rebounding. Is there something wrong with his liver? (20 Mar 2004)

61. What is the name of the glucose meter that does not require a separate lancet? It's one where you put your finger on a certain spot, it takes the blood sample and gives you a reading all in one meter. (20 Mar 2004)

62. I am an 18 year old female and I have type 1 diabetes. I urinate frequently, in large quantities, despite good glucose control. What can I do? (19 Mar 2004)

63. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and have needed to reduce my insulin to avoid lows. Is this my honeymoon? How long will it last? (19 Mar 2004)

64. I rrecently received some test results from my doctor, including a fasting blood glucose of 128 mg/dl [7.1 mmol/L] and an A1c of 6.5. Does this mean I have diabetes? (19 Mar 2004)

65. My nine year old daughter does not often recognize hypoglycemia. Can we expect that she may develop seizures with low blood sugars? (19 Mar 2004)

66. How do Graves disease and lupus affect my daughter's diabetes? Or, how does the diabetes affect Graves and lupus? (19 Mar 2004)

67. My teenaged daughter has a knot of skin on one side of her hip. I think she has not rotated her shots. Will this go away and how can she make sure this will not happen again? When will islet transplants be available for her? (19 Mar 2004)

68. My 14 year old son was diagnosed with type 1, but had no GAD antibodies. Could he really have type 2? Does he need pills instead? (18 Mar 2004)

69. Our daughter was just diagnosed. How do we determine how much a unit of NovoLog will lower her blood sugar? When should we give her her Lantus? (18 Mar 2004)

70. On two occasions, my young daughter had elevated blood sugars in the ER, but they came down on their own. It was termed "stress induced hyperglycemia." Could you give me more information on this? (18 Mar 2004)

71. My teenaged son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in September 2003. In early March, he had so many lows he stopped taking insulin, and he still had lows. Can anyone explain this? (18 Mar 2004)

72. Is there a connection between educational delays and type 1 diabetes? (18 Mar 2004)

73. My friend refuses to take proper care of her diabetes. How does untreated diabetes affect her mental state? (18 Mar 2004)

74. Is Acarbose taken before, with, or after meals? (18 Mar 2004)

75. My son's doctor wants him on a four shot regimen using Humalog and Lantus. I want a three shot regimen. Which is better? How can I convey my wishes to the doctor? (17 Mar 2004)

76. If my son eats an extra mid-morning snack and is 285 mg/dl [15.8 mmol/L] at lunch, should he take a correction dose about an hour before lunch and wait to eat? Or, take the correction shot a lunch and eat immediately? (17 Mar 2004)

77. My daughter was treated for some urinary tract infections. One of the samples showed she had ketones. What does this mean? Does she have diabetes? (17 Mar 2004)

78. My two year old son has had several blood glucose tests with elevated readings. He has also strong smelling urine, sweet breath, and is always thirsty. How much glucose does he need for a confirmatory test? He also has a high Triglyceride level. (17 Mar 2004)

79. My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for several months and is doing well. Does she need to be an ACE inhibitor to help prolong better kidney function? (16 Mar 2004)

80. What is the life expectancy of a person with type 1 diabetes? We are concerned because we are in South Africa where care isn't as available as it is elsewhere. (16 Mar 2004)

81. Do calories have any effect on your blood sugar? (16 Mar 2004)

82. After 20 years with type 1 diabetes, I have proliferative retinopathy in both eyes. I need a laser treatment to repair a small leak. Does the laser destroy all the new growth and will it come back? (16 Mar 2004)

83. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes in October 2003. She recently had a stomach virus. The endocrinologist told us we should not give her insulin. Since then, her blood sugars have not been elevated. Can you explain what is going on? (16 Mar 2004)

84. On a recent trip to an amusement park, our bags were searched and we were told we could not take in our emergency "low packs, " such as juice and snacks. How is this possible? Is this legal? (16 Mar 2004)

85. My TSH level has dropped since I started taking insulin. Could the insulin intake have anything to do with the reduction in TSH levels? (16 Mar 2004)

86. Are recurrent bladder infections an indication of diabetes? (16 Mar 2004)

87. My son's recent A1c was higher than I expected. The doctor has increased his insulin and he has begun to exercise, but he still has high blood sugars. Should I be concerned or maybe seek another opinion? (16 Mar 2004)

88. My seven year old son with type 1 diabetes had incorrect thyroid levels. Does he have hypothyroidism? What other tests would you recommend? (16 Mar 2004)

89. My grandson has been suffering tonic clonic seizures. During one, his blood sugar was quite elevated and his new neurosurgeon suspected diabetes. The endocrinologist suspects he's in his honeymoon phase. What does that mean? (16 Mar 2004)

90. My son will be attending day camp all summer. If we pre-fill syringes, would the staff be able to administer insulin? (15 Mar 2004)

91. My son uses an insulin pump and we are planning a road trip to Florida, to include the beach and Disney. Should I try to keep his diabetes supplies cool in the car? How do we keep the pump cool in warm weather? (15 Mar 2004)

92. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with CNVM (Choroidal Neovascular Membrane) today by a neurosurgeon. Is it a diabetes related problem? Is a laser procedure the only treatment option? (15 Mar 2004)

93. I am a regular smoker of marijuana. When I smoke, it always lowers my blood sugars. Does it indeed lower blood sugars? (15 Mar 2004)

94. We give our daughter Lantus each evening to help her pancreas last longer. Sometimes, though, she's low in the morning or she's slightly high. Do we increase the Lantus and give her a 4 a.m. snack? Is it bad to let her be a little high in the morning? (14 Mar 2004)

95. How many families have siblings with type 1 diabetes? What is type 1b diabetes? Is it possible to wean my children off insulin with diet and exercise? (14 Mar 2004)

96. My niece and nephew, both with diabetes, do not behave. They lie about their diabetes care. Can diabetes be causing their behavioral problems? (14 Mar 2004)

97. I woke up to find my husband, who has type 1 diabetes, having a seizure. His blood sugar was 66 mg/dl [3.7 mmol/L] Was the seizure from a low blood sugar or is there something else we need to look into? (14 Mar 2004)

98. Can you tell me more about the honeymoon phase? Can you use NPH/Humalog in the morning, Lantus/Humalog at dinner? How does one become a CDE? (14 Mar 2004)

99. I am a school nurse caring for a six year old who often gets upset and throws his lunch on the floor. Other times he refuses his lunch time insulin. His mom wants us to restrain him to give him his shot. What are your thoughts on this situation? (14 Mar 2004)

100. My friend is worried about developing diabetes. What is the connection between diabetes/fatness/cardiac infarction? Are the causes of diabetes more genetic or environmental? Can you explain about the different types of diabetes? (14 Mar 2004)

101. My son has been urinating a lot recently and has been complaining of aches. My doctor doesn't want to test him for diabetes. Should I insist he do so? (14 Mar 2004)

102. My son refuses to take his insulin. I get distracted by other kids and can't watch him take his shots. Would a pump be easier? (14 Mar 2004)

103. I had my diabetes under good control until my doctor increased my dosage of Synthroid. Does the Synthroid affect the blood sugars? Wouldn't I be better to have my thyroid on the "low side of normal" with lower blood sugars? (14 Mar 2004)

104. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year. She has a hearing loss and may have Wolfram's Syndrome. What is her life expectancy? Will she get the optic atrophy? Are there more studies that can help me and my family? (14 Mar 2004)

105. I recently took the three hour glucose tolerance test. The first two readings were high, but the third wasn't. Should I be concerned that my baby will have diabetes? (14 Mar 2004)

106. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes in December. We keep lowering his insulin dosages, but he keeps having low blood sugars. How much more should we decrease them? (14 Mar 2004)

107. Can a diet that eliminates fast-absorbing carohydrates delay or prevent type 1 diabetes in a child at high risk? Can it slow the onset of the disease? (14 Mar 2004)

108. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, then type 1/LADA due to the number of positive GAD antibodies I had. Can you explain about the GAD antibody test? How many type 2s really are LADA? (14 Mar 2004)

109. My spouse has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What foods can she eat? (14 Mar 2004)

110. My daughter has hypoglycemia. She is very active and has irregular menstrual cycles. Her current cycle has been very heavy and her blood sugars have been low. Is this normal? How do I get her blood sugars under control during her cycles? (13 Mar 2004)

111. What is the status of the TheraSense noninvasive glucose monitor? Are there any other companies that are close to marketing something that will give blood sugars in real time? (13 Mar 2004)

112. At a recent doctor's visit, my daughter's blood sugar was elevated, but returned to normal for three additional readings. Testing at home, we have had one slightly high blood sugar, which I have heard is a problem. Why would she have sugar in her urine and why her numbers are so up and down? Does she have diabetes? Could it be pre-diabetes? (13 Mar 2004)

113. My son wakes every morning with fruity smelling breath, headaches and stomach aches. My doctor is not convinced he has diabetes. What kind of tests should he have? Should I get a pediatrician's opinion? (13 Mar 2004)

114. Why is insulin supposedly good for only 28 days? Why does it go bad for some people? (12 Mar 2004)

115. We recently started taking our daughter to a pediatric endocrinologist who wants to put our daughter on a pump to get better control. At five, our daughter doesn't want a pump and had a recent A1c of 7.4. Should we get another opinion? (12 Mar 2004)

116. Our toddler recently had a virus for which we took her to the ER. Due to a high blood sugar, she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The diagnosis was retracted when her blood sugar returned to normal without insulin. She had a similar incident today. Are we doing the right thing by consulting with a pediatric endocrinologist? (12 Mar 2004)

117. As an active teen who uses an insulin pump, I am frustrated by my higher A1c and problems with my infusion sets adhering. Can't shots work just as well as an insulin pump? Would my doctor and parents think that I was a failure because I came off my pump? (11 Mar 2004)

118. My 10 year old daughter recently fell to the floor weak and perspiring. The doctor has had me check her blood sugars since then and they are always in the normal range. She continues to have "spells" so we are to see a pediatric endocrinologist. Is this necessary? Are the normal blood sugar levels of a child the same as an adult's? (11 Mar 2004)

119. My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for four years, celiac disease for one. Does celiac disease have any effect on diabetes? What should I be looking for? (11 Mar 2004)

120. I am pregnant. My blood sugar was elevated after the one hour test. Will it be elevated after the three hour test? How will this affect my ability to work full time? (10 Mar 2004)

121. I have PCOS and gestational diabetes. My doctor put me on Lantus and keeps increasing the dosage. Is increasing the dosage really the answer? (10 Mar 2004)

122. At a recent doctor's visit, I had a high blood sugar reading. I thought it was because of what I'd eaten the night before and the juice I had for breakfast. How do I know if I might have diabetes? (10 Mar 2004)

123. My 10 year old son's recent 24 hour urine test resulted in out of range readings. His doctor is considering putting him on an ACE inhibitor. Does he have kidney problems? What are the long term effects of the ACE inhibitor? (9 Mar 2004)

124. My four year old son was recenty diagnosed with diabetes. Are there any clinical studies in which he could participate to prolong his honeymoon period? (9 Mar 2004)

125. Are there any known ways to preserve and expand beta cell mass in new onset patients? Can bitter melon help? Can a few beta cells be extracted, frozen and saved for possible cloning later? (9 Mar 2004)

126. I have had type 1 diabetes for 13 years. My girlfriend also has it. What are the consequences for our marriage? (9 Mar 2004)

127. As a hospital nurse, I see many patients with type 2 diabetes. I have removed the orange juice from their meal trays to help keep their blood sugars closer to normal and had some success. Other nurses claim the juice is allowed. Who is right? I want to discuss this with hospital administrators. (9 Mar 2004)

128. I have type 2 diabetes. My daytime blood sugars are slightly elevated first thing in the morning. I had lower numbers twice when I exercised before my bedtime snack, but I can't keep them lower consistently. What do you suggest? (9 Mar 2004)

129. What would happen if a non-diabetic person were injected with insulin? (9 Mar 2004)

130. Can high blood sugar affect the brain in terms of judgment and impaired thought processes? (9 Mar 2004)

131. My son wants to get a pump, but his doctor wants to wait until my son's honeymoon stage ends. Do we have to wait for the honeymoon stage to be completely over before we get the pump? (8 Mar 2004)

132. Since switching to Lantus, my daughter's menstrual cycles are messed up. Could it be because insulin is a hormone that is affecting her other hormones? (8 Mar 2004)

133. My 17 year old daughter has DIDMOAD. What is her life expectancy? What can we do? How do I know if I passed this to my youngest daughter? Is my other daughter likely to get it? (8 Mar 2004)

134. I provide child care for a seven year old boy with type 1 diabetes. He takes Humalog and Lente. Are morning ketones, small to medium, likely to be present after blood sugars dip too low during the night followed by a rebound? (8 Mar 2004)

135. Some my seven year old son's thyroid tests came back abnormal, including an elevated TSH. Does this represent true thyroid disease? (8 Mar 2004)

136. My blood sugar increases significantly during the long morning drive to work. I can't change my basal rates because I don't have the same problem on the weekends. Can the stress of driving be the cause of the increase? Do you have any suggestions? (8 Mar 2004)

137. I was surprised to hear my granddaughter is getting five to six insulin shots a day, rather than two. Her blood sugars are erratic, too. Is this normal? (8 Mar 2004)

138. A 14 year old female patient has type 1 diabetes and Addison's disease. At 126 pounds. she takes about 100 units of insulin a day. Is insulin resistance common with Addison's disease, or, if she is being over insulinized and feeding insulin all day to prevent lows? (8 Mar 2004)

139. I have a friend with type 1 diabetes. We live in Liberia and have limited foods. What are nutritious foods which could be eaten by a diabetic and their proportions? (8 Mar 2004)

140. Recently, my mother, a nursing home resident was diagnosed with diabetes and given insulin. Her blood sugars are still high. How high can they go before it becomes a serious problem? (8 Mar 2004)

141. Is there a relationship between myasthenia gravis and type 1 diabetes? Should we be concerned about those with type 1 developing myasthenia gravis? (7 Mar 2004)

142. My young daughter has been having what I call "hot flashes" one half hour after afternoon snack. I reduced her NPH, but it hasn't helped. Have you ever heard of this happening? (7 Mar 2004)

143. My 18 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for three years. Until a month ago, she had poor blood sugar control. She has been suffering with pains in both legs for the past couple of months. Could this be the start of neuropathy? (7 Mar 2004)

144. Is a-lipoic acid research continuing to indicate usefulness in treating diabetic neuropathy? At what dosage? Is it related to folic acid? (7 Mar 2004)

145. I have type 2 diabetes and control it through diet and exercise. Can I run a half marathon without any adverse effects? Can I use carbohydrate gels for energy during the run? (7 Mar 2004)

146. Since she had a seizure on Valentine's Day, my 10 year old daughter has been having difficulty controlling her blood sugars. She is now unable to recognize most lows. Do you think we would have better results on the pump or a Lantus/Humalog regimen? Her diabetes team is divided on this issue. (7 Mar 2004)

147. I've been skipping insulin to lose weight. Can you give me a web site or any suggestions to help me? (7 Mar 2004)

148. I'm a Japanese citizen with type 1 diabetes. I plan to work in the U.S. for two years. How much does it cost to be treated for type 1 in the U.S.? (7 Mar 2004)

149. Can you tell me if the standard normal blood sugar range 80-120 mg/dl [4.4-6.7 mmol/L] is in reference to whole blood or plasma? Should my goal range really be slightly higher in plasma readings? (6 Mar 2004)

150. Recent blood work revealed I have four times the normal amount of insulin antibodies. What does this mean? Will my body continue to make them? Is there a way to prevent this? (6 Mar 2004)

151. My son's teacher wants my son tested for ADHD. I have read about ADHD medications causing enlargement of the heart. Is he at greater risk of complications from these medications due to his diabetes? (6 Mar 2004)

152. Following a recent episode of DKA, I have been having many low blood sugars, even after reducing my insulin. Could I be having a "second honeymoon?" (6 Mar 2004)

153. When my child was stillborn a year ago, I was told it was due to gestational diabetes. I am pregnant again. Is my "fuzzy tongue" a sign I have gestational diabetes? (6 Mar 2004)

154. My daughter takes Lantus in the evening, but is requiring extra Humalog during the night to bring down her blood sugar before breakfast. Our endocrinologist wants to put our daughter on a pump, but we don't want to do that at this point. Do you have any suggestions? (6 Mar 2004)

155. My twins are a little overweight. Their dad has diabetes and leukemia. Are my children at risk for diabetes? If so, how can I prevent it? (6 Mar 2004)

156. Since his August 2003 diagnosis with type 1 diabetes, my son has gained a lot of weight, to the point of being overweight. He is very active. Can you help me understand why he is overweight? (6 Mar 2004)

157. Is it beneficial to take bilberry berry extract along with other diabetes medications? (5 Mar 2004)

158. My stepfather was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His doctor put him on Glucophage, Zocor, and Benicar. Could he forego the Zocor? I am afraid that it's too many medications at once. (5 Mar 2004)

159. To prevent lipoatrophy, my daughter has been using a NovoLog/steroid mix in her insulin pump for a year. I wanted to update her story. (5 Mar 2004)

160. In November, my son was admitted to the Emergency Room in DKA. He was given fluids, but no insulin. After several hours, he couldn't breathe and started foaming at the mouth. His blood sugar had gone down, but he could not be revived. Should he have been given insulin along with the fluids? (5 Mar 2004)

161. I have had hypoglycemia since birth. I was wondering if I would still be able to conceive? (4 Mar 2004)

162. My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, then pancreatitis. Is there a way to find out which she really has? (4 Mar 2004)

163. I am currently taking Glucophage, Amaryl and Avandia. Would I have lower blood sugars if I used Actos or Prandin? I don't want to take insulin. (4 Mar 2004)

164. My doctor has just given me my son's platelet and basophil readings. Are they acceptable? (4 Mar 2004)

165. My sister recently tested positive for both Grave's disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Is this common? Why do three people in the same house all have autoimmune diseases? (4 Mar 2004)

166. I've have type 2 diabetes for three years and have a 6.6 A1c. I recently had a miscarriage. Can I try to get pregnant again? (4 Mar 2004)

167. My toddler is now receiving six injections daily. Will he have injection site problems? Is this too many injections for his size? (4 Mar 2004)

168. What kind of agencies have social workers that help children with diabetes? How do I become a certified diabetes educator (CDE) after I graduate? (3 Mar 2004)

169. As a pediatric nurse, I am looking for a reliable glucometer that will register blood glucoses up to 1200 mg/dl [66.6 mmol/L]. Does one exist? (3 Mar 2004)

170. While pregnant with twins, I was hospitalized with pre-term labor. At 33 weeks, labor proceeded. Shortly thereafter, the doctor said I probably had gestational diabetes. Should he have stopped the labor to control the diabetes? Could the diabetes be responsible for the twins' low blood sugars at birth and the subsequent health issues of one of them? What are the short and long term effects of this hypoglycemia? (3 Mar 2004)

171. My son was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. With all the bad press about Synthroid, are there alternative medications? (3 Mar 2004)

172. After a recent flight, I noticed my post meal blood sugars were a bit high. When I checked my insulin pens, all three had little pressure. Could this have something to do with the cabin pressure of the flight? Is there a fix for this? (3 Mar 2004)

173. My daughter has type 1 diabetes and PCOS. Just before menstruating, she has uncontrollable high blood sugars. We have increased her correction factor, but her blood sugars remain high. What would you recommend we do? (3 Mar 2004)

174. When I fed my daughter a small amount of cow's milk, she developed redness around her mouth and chin. Could this sensitivity be some sort of precursor to an autoimmune response related to type 1 diabetes? (3 Mar 2004)

175. I have cystic fibrosis and recently had gestational diabetes. I still monitor my blood sugars and have high postprandial numbers. At what point do doctors usually initiate drug treatment? What is more important when deciding a plan of care, hemoglobin A1c or daily blood sugar monitoring? (3 Mar 2004)

176. We were told to take our son, who has type 1 diabetes, to the emergency room if he vomits. How do we handle this if we take him on a cruise? (3 Mar 2004)

177. Last year, I was diagnosed with diabetes via a finger prick test, then PCOS by another doctor. I have been taking Glucophage and dieting. I have lost weight and now have normal blood sugars. Is diabetes the same as insulin resistance? Which do I have? Was the finger prick test sufficient for diagnosis? (3 Mar 2004)

178. Can a person with type 2 diabetes take weight loss pills? How about Natronex 3? (2 Mar 2004)

179. I have been using my grandfathers monitor to check my blood sugars. Sometimes they are somewhat elevated, then drop significantly after 15-20 minutes. Is this normal? Should I see a doctor? (1 Mar 2004)

180. For Disney World, is it true that an entire group can skip to the head of the line if one person in the group has diabetes? (1 Mar 2004)

181. I am taking several prescription medications, including one for an upper respiratory infection. Are they why I am having high blood sugar readings? (1 Mar 2004)

182. I have a lot of headaches. During one, my blood sugar was quite low. I thought diabetes meant high blood sugar readings. Can you help me? (1 Mar 2004)

183. How can I get life insurance for my child with diabetes? (1 Mar 2004)

184. Following priors hypoglycemic episodes, tests failed to determine a cause. The episodes have recently resumed. Is there something more serious going on? (1 Mar 2004)

185. I recently experienced DKA and am having problems controlling my blood sugars. Should I consult my doctor or make my own changes? Am I now at increased risk of future episodes of DKA? (1 Mar 2004)

186. Can hypoglycemic episodes cause neurological damage? If so, is it something that can be corrected? (1 Mar 2004)

187. My stepdaughter wets her pants and has gained a lot of weight in the past year. No one, to my knowledge, has tested her for diabetes. Do I need to take her to a specialist? (1 Mar 2004)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts