Question:

From Eastland, Texas, United States:

I am taking several prescription medications and wonder if they could be making my tests for glucose high. I take xanax, librax, marinol, coreguard, protonix, and have been taking amoxicillin for a week for an upper respiratory infection. My fasting blood sugar was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] and went to 188 mg/dl after eating [10.4 mmol/L]. I have an appointment for blood work tomorrow. I was wondering if one or more of these could make my level high. I have felt tired and cannot sleep at night.

Answer:

None of the medications you mentioned are really known to increase blood sugars markedly. I would add that any infection for which you might be using an antibiotic could raise the blood sugars.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other