From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

I am a registered nurse in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. We frequently treat newly diagnosed DKAs, age varying from four to 16 years old. The glucometer we use is unable to give us an accurate reading when the glucose is greater than 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L], and the ketones and hemoglobin A1cs are elevated. Can you recommend a glucometer which will register extremely elevated glucose (approximately 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] to 1200 mg/dl [66.6 mmol/L]? Also, we test every hour, preferable from a venous site so the child does not have to be poked every hour. It would also be preferable for a meter that will register arterial and neonatal blood. Is there any hope to find a reliable meter?

I know of no monitor that reads above 600 mg/dl [33.4 mmol/L]. If you were having to manage children with much higher levels, you would probably also be needing serum electrolyte and bicarbonate levels so that it would make sense ask for serum glucose levels from the central clinical laboratory. Before too long though, I think that there may be infrared sensors that may meet your needs, albeit expensively.

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

You will find information on our web page about Blood Glucose Meters. Our reviews do not necessarily indicate the range on the meters, but most will go up to 500 mg/dl [27.7 mmol/L] or 600 mg/dl [33.3 mmol/L]. Note that the Precision Xtra can be used to test blood ketones, as well as blood glucose.