Question:

From Lima, Ohio, USA:

I am currently enrolled in college as a social work major. I want to work with juveniles with diabetes. What kind of agencies are there that have social workers that help children with diabetes? How do I become a certified diabetes educator (CDE) after I graduate?

Answer:

You can find the latest requirements, such as number of training hours, for the CDE exam on-line at the National Certification Board Diabetes Educators web site. Offhand, I can think of all sorts of organizations that might need a social worker who has interest in diabetes. I would recommend that you contact the ADA, JDRF, diabetes-focused hospitals, children's hospitals, and other diabetes centers. I would think that the advisors in your social work studies could also help direct you. Specifically, I am not familiar with the resources in your state.