Question:

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.:

I am 36 and have had type 2 diabetes for three years. Recently, I was seven weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage. I've checked my A1c and it was 6.6. Can I try to get pregnant again?

Answer:

Yes, you can try and get pregnant again. You should be taking folic acid, 5 mg, each day before conception and, at least, during the first eight weeks of pregnancy. Keep your blood sugar under as good control as possible. Consult with your obstetrician and endocrinologist to let them know you are trying for another pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning and Type 2