From Morristown, Indiana, USA:

I had a stillborn child a year ago, and was told it was due to gestational diabetes. I didn't have blood work done, I only used urine testing. I am expecting again, and I have experienced what some call a "fuzzy tongue." Is that a sure sign that I have gestational diabetes? I use my tooth brush to scratch my tongue only after I brush my teeth. I did experience this with my last pregnancy, as well as the other four. I had and no sign of gestational diabetes prior to my last pregnancy.

Unlike type 1 diabetes, gestational diabetes is rarely associated with a stillborn baby. There are several reasons a baby may die prior to delivery, although, unfortunately, most of the time an exact cause cannot be determined. To make a diagnosis of gestational diabetes you have to take a glucose test. I am not aware that a "fuzzy tongue" is associated with gestational diabetes. During this pregnancy, your doctor should be doing some close fetal surveillance towards the end of the gestation for your peace of mind.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes