Question:

From Spokane, Washington, USA:

I'm a 16 year old female, and I've had type 1 diabetes for two years, this month. I was in the honeymoon period for that whole first year, than I stopped taking my shots because I didn't want to bother with it, since I was in the honeymoon period and all. Then, after six months I found it really hard to get back on track, even though my blood sugars were over 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] most of the time. I talked to my doctor and was admitted into the hospital in DKA. Now, I'm on NovoLog and NPH two times a day, at breakfast and at dinner. I am having a lot of low blood sugars again even after lowering my doses several times. Could I be in another honeymoon time?

Answer:

It might be so. However, before saying it's a new honeymoon phase again in your case, where you reduced all insulin dosages and you still observe some lows, I'd first check for celiac disease .

Posted to Honeymoon and Daily Care