Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My son has type 1 diabetes and is in the first grade. The teacher is suspecting ADHD and has asked for testing. I have read things on the Internet about the possible negative effects of ADHD medications on children, including the increased risk of enlargement of the heart. Given that kids with type 1 are already at increased risk of heart disease, is my child at greater risk of complications from these medications due to his diabetes?

Answer:

Certainly, when one considers the addition of ANY medication, one must try to weigh out the potential benefits of that medicine along with its potential risks. I do not think "an enlarged heart" is a likely risk factor for the common medications for ADHD; there may be some nuances with newer medications with which I am unfamiliar. But, these medications can affect appetite which may impact on diabetes management. You should feel comfortable having frank and serious conversations with all your child's physicians and map out a plan of how long a medication will be used until it is deemed successful or failing and how to monitor for potential ill effects.

Posted to ADHD