Question:

From Kyoto, Japan:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 18 years. I'm now taking NPH and NovoLog, before every meal. I'm Japanese and live in Japan, but I have a plan to live in United States for two years. I will work at a company in United States and get insurance as a foreigner. How much does it cost to be treated for my type 1 diabetes in United States?

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association gives an average per capita net total cost of diabetes in the United States as $13, 243 for 2002 (Direct and Indirect Costs of Diabetes in the United States) and the figure for 2004 will, I am sure, be at least $15, 000. On the other hand, the cost, if employed with reasonable health benefits, might be no more than a third of this and perhaps even less. Clearly, the figure depends a very great deal on the employer's contribution and the structure of the health plan. Costs would be minimal if you felt that you were in excellent control and were prepared to remain uninsured; but, with a plan to return to Japan if there were problems. I think that you would be wise to contact a U.S. Consulate and learn what preparations you have to make to get a visa with a work permit. It may even be that your employer has to guarantee support whilst in the United States. If you have friends already in the United States, who are employed, they too could give guidance.

Posted to Insurance/Costs and Other