Question:

From Fort Worth, Texas, USA:

I'm a 19 year old type 1 diabetic, and extremely active in gymnastics. I coach six days a week, four hours a day. Recently, I've noticed that I skip insulin in order to lose weight, or I just don't eat at all for a day. I know this bad for me, but I can't seem to stop, even though I want to. I can't talk to my parents or my doctor about this, and my friends just don't understand. Can you please give my a web site or any suggestions that could help me?

Answer:

What you are doing, skipping insulin to lose weight, is not uncommon, but it is extremely dangerous. You must seek help, as this is a problem that is very difficult to control on your own. Please talk with your diabetes team about this; they can help you. If you do not feel you can talk with your diabetes team about this, then you need to find a psychologist or other mental health professional who has expertise in individuals with diabetes. Please seek help immediately.

JWB

Posted to Behavior and Daily Care