Question:

From Lenoir, North Carolina, USA:

I have a ten year old daughter who has had headaches off and on for the 10 years. It has been nothing big, but there her doctors know this and says its okay. However, a couple of weeks ago she went downstairs to get breakfast and fell, in weakness, onto the floor. I went downstairs to find her on the floor very pale. She said her stomach hurt a little and she was very weak. I stood her up and she was not sweating. However, her face was completely wet with perspiration. I took her to the doctor and he has had me monitor her sugars. I have found it when she has small spells, her sugars are in the 80-85 mg/dl [4.4-4.7 mmol/L] range and then the 109-115 mg/dl [6.0-5.9 mmol/L] range.

Her doctor did blood tests to check her sugars and he said they were normal. However, she is continuing to have these spells, although they are not as bad as the first one. The doctor is sending us to a pediatric endocrinologist to have them check her. Is this necessary since her levels seem to be okay, within the normal sugar limit of 80-120 mg/dl [4.4-6.7 mmol/L] or is a child's level different than a adult? Since her blood tests were okay, do you think it is necessary that she goes and should the doctor be looking in another direction?

Answer:

It's very difficult to tell what may be happening to your daughter based on the information you provided. Your physician needs to take a thorough history and physical examination to best give you advice. Seeking consultation from a pediatric endocrinologist seems like a reasonable next step also just as you've suggested. I would encourage you to continue to seek close follow-up with your physician until this is resolved.