From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

In January, our two year old daughter had a virus that left her dehydrated to the point of needing hospitalization for what we assumed was fluid replenishment only. Her incoming blood sugar was 41 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L]. She was lethargic and rag-doll like. Within a mere two to three hours, her sugar shot to 495 mg/dl [27.5 mmol/L], and she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. After only a few more hours, it became obvious she was regulating her own sugar without insulin. The diagnosis was retracted the next morning, and officially, at the end of the following week with no readings above, or anywhere near, 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Most were in the 70-80 mg/dl [3.9 to 4.4 mmol/L] range. The final "diagnosis" was stress-induced hypoglycemia.

Yesterday, she was diagnosed with strep throat after a vomiting episode in the morning. Today, after a paltry, mild breakfast she began shivering and projectile vomited. Afterward, she seemed alarmingly similar to her lethargic rag-doll state, so I took a sugar reading. It was 370 mg/dl [20.5 mmol/L].

We were told to go to the emergency room immediately. She slowly started "pepping up" on the way there. Her sugar level had dropped to 93 mg/dl [15.1 mmol/L] two and 1/2 hours later with no intake. The emergency room doctor was baffled, especially with a high reading and low energy, and for the dramatic fluctuation. He was guessing a flaw in the reading I took, which would be the best news, but it just seems to have too many parallels to the incident less than two months ago.

We are going to consult with a pediatric endocrinologist, but I just want some direction/reassurance/advice.

You are on the right course by seeking consultation from a pediatric endocrinologist.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hyperglycemia and DKA