Question:

From Staten Island, New York, USA:

Our daughter has had type 1 diabetes for nine months now. She is on Humalog and Lantus. Her sugars have been under control for the most part. Her A1c was 7.4, which her doctor said was great. Since then, we had to change insurance companies and could no longer use our old endocrinologist. Her new endocrinologist said that 7.4 was acceptable, but it should be lower. She also said that her blood sugars should always be below 200 mg/dl 11.1 mmol/L]. My husband and I are not happy with this doctor. We are in the process of looking for another endocrinologist. Is what she said true? She claims that putting our daughter on a pump would give her better control of her blood sugars. Our daughter is five years old and wants nothing to do with the pump. The system we use is mimicking the pump.

Answer:

I would find a physician with whom you are comfortable and follow their advice. There should be no pressure to put a five year old, with an A1c of 7.4, on an insulin pump. From the limited story you've provided, it looks like you're doing a great job.

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin Pumps