Question:

From Bountiful, Utah, USA:

I took my four year old daughter to the doctor Friday because she was sick. They tested her for strep and I asked them to test her for a UTI since she has had them twice before. She had sugar in her urine, so they tested her blood sugar with a monitor. The number came out at 185 mg/dl [10.3 mmol/L]. We were admitted to the hospital. During our stay, she was tested three times and her blood sugars were 70 mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L], 90 mg /dl [5/0 mmol/L], then 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. We were allowed to go home with a monitor. We are doing tests once a day, usually after her largest meal.

I happened to test her before breakfast and her blood sugar was with 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L]. After breakfast, it was 129 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. The numbers I have seen tell me anything below 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] is good, anything higher suggests a problem.

We go back to the doctor on Wednesday, but no one has really explained to me why would she have sugar in her urine and why her numbers are so up and down. Does she have diabetes? Is she maybe pre-diabetic? Is something else wrong with her? I do not know what to think.

Answer:

She will need close monitoring over the next few months to see if she may be developing diabetes. I would continue to screen her blood sugars aggressively, just as your physician has suggested.