From Owings Mills, Maryland, USA:

My test results for the one hour test were a little high, 138 mg/dl [7.6 mmol/L], but my doctor wasn't concerned. Recently, I took a three hour glucose tolerance test. The results for the one and two hour readings were high, but the third was normal. Do I have any reason to be concerned about whether or not my baby will have diabetes? Diabetes runs in my family on my mother's side. Or, am I just worried for nothing?

If you had two abnormal values on the three hour glucose test, then that makes the diagnosis of gestational diabetes. However, some diet adjustment may be enough to keep your blood sugar under control. The next step would be either an oral hypoglycemic agent or insulin. You should discuss the specifics with your doctor. Your baby will not have diabetes as a result of your condition. If diabetes runs in your family, then that does increase your risk and possibly your offspring. With good diet and exercise, you can minimize your risk.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Genetics and Heredity