Question:

From Leamington Spa, England:

In the past four to six weeks, my five year old son has started urinate very often during the day. This can be up to three times before school, eight during school, four to five times in the evenings and either a wet bed/full night pants, and getting up to go. His intake of fluids hasn't altered. He also is a very, very slow eater, taking one and a half hours to eat one normal child's portion. He does seem to drift off/daydream sometimes, and will say he's tired occasionally. His weight is normal for his age. He also moans that sometimes his bones ache, especially his knees or shins. He has had a urine sample tested twice for any infection, but it came back clear twice. To me, the symptoms are starting to look like diabetes. Do you think the same and should I push the doctor for a test? He seems a bit reluctant to do so.

Answer:

Your pediatrician should be able to direct you to any appropriate testing for your son. I would discuss your concerns thoroughly with your pediatrician.