Question:

From Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son will be starting kindergarten this September. When school is out for the summer, we have to send him to a day camp during the day, because my wife and I both work. If his sugar levels are high, he would need an injection. If we pre-fill the needles, would the staff be able to administer insulin?

Answer:

Generally, camp staff will not be able to administer insulin unless the day camp is specifically a diabetes day camp, staffed with qualified staff. Camps do not have the same mandates that schools must follow. I suggest that you check with the camp director to see if arrangements could be made for administering insulin.

BS

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and School and Daycare