Question:

From United Kingdom:

When I was on metformin five times a day, my TSH level was 7.43. When I was on the metformin and 45 units of pre-mixed insulin per day, my TSH level dropped to 3.7. I have all the indications of an underactive thyroid, yet, within three weeks of each blood test, I have been told I am fine and there is nothing to worry about. Could the insulin intake have anything to do with the reduction in TSH levels?

Answer:

Generally, the use of insulin would have not correlation with your TSH levels. According to the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists), a TSH above three is still high and indicative of hypothyroidism. I would discuss this with your physician and possibly perform additional testing to include thyroid antibody levels.

ABS

Posted to Thyroid and Insulin