From United Kingdom:

When I was on metformin five times a day, my TSH level was 7.43. When I was on the metformin and 45 units of pre-mixed insulin per day, my TSH level dropped to 3.7. I have all the indications of an underactive thyroid, yet, within three weeks of each blood test, I have been told I am fine and there is nothing to worry about. Could the insulin intake have anything to do with the reduction in TSH levels?

Generally, the use of insulin would have not correlation with your TSH levels. According to the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists), a TSH above three is still high and indicative of hypothyroidism. I would discuss this with your physician and possibly perform additional testing to include thyroid antibody levels.

Posted to Thyroid and Insulin