Question:

From Multan, Punjab, Pakistan:

I am a born diabetic and stutterer. In fact, my parents think that medications given by different doctors at an early age led to my diabetes. I don't know whether it is true or not. But, can a link between diabetes and stuttering be established if we consider the fact that diabetes does effect nervous system? Moreover, can you tell me something about insulin pumps and whether it has become a common practice or is it still in its experimental phase? If I want to get such a pump, where should I go?

Answer:

I do not know anything, nor can I recall anything from the medical literature, that connects diabetes with stuttering. With regard to insulin pumps, they are not experimental. We have over 100 patients on pumps at our institution. I feel they are the best way to treat type 1 diabetes. In terms of obtaining one, you would probably do best by accessing the manufacturer's web sites. The major manufacturers include Medtronic, Deltec, Disetronic, and Animas. The company could then have one of their salespersons contact you at your home.

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

Be sure to enquire about ensuring a steady flow of insulin pump supplies.

BH

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Other