Question:

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

We have a 23 month plus girl and it seems like she has been urinating more frequently. At times, her diapers are soaked and she has urinated so much that her clothes are wet. This happens when she was just changed. Within an hour or so she has a very wet diaper. She drinks sugar free Kool Aid, milk and orange juice on a regular basis. She always drank liquid well and does not seem to have an increased thirst. But, she can down a four ounce sippy cup within two to three minutes, especially when she wakes up in the morning. My wife's sister's son, who is seven, was diagnosed with type 1 when he was two and a half years old, which is what is making us a little nervous. Our daughter eats well and does not appear to have lost any weight. She plays well and does not seem fatigued. I believe that type 1 goes through stages, such as the frequent urination. We also see that when she is in her car seat she moves around a lot and I wonder if a urinary tract infection could cause the additional urine flow. I guess that with a relative who has diabetes you get a little paranoid. Is this something we should be concerned?

Answer:

I would recommend that you contact your pediatrician or family doctor and have them test your daughter for diabetes. Although it is unlikely that diabetes is causing her symptoms, it is possible, especially given your family history, that she does have early diabetes and the diagnosis is easily made and/or ruled out by testing.

LAD